DAYTON VENUES FOR BOXING
Compiled by Tom Archdeacon
Dayton Gym Club
- Early 1950s voted one of best fight clubs in nation
- Nearly two dozen world champs fought at Dayton Gym Club, beginning in late 1890s.
- World welterweight title changed hands at Gym Club when Honey Mellody was knocked out in 15 rounds by Frank Mantell, November 1, 1907.
- Fistic home of several Dayton Golden Gloves teams over years
- Welterweight Jack Britton lost his title in 20 rounds to Kid Lewis, June 25, 1917.
- Jack Dempsey knocked out Terry Keller in 5 rounds in 1918.
- Several other world champs fought here.
Dayton Opera House