Compiled by Bucky Albers, retired sports writer for the Dayton Daily News.
Dayton Country Club
555 Kramer Road
Golf course designers: Donald Ross, William Diddel
An outgrowth of the Dayton Golf Club, which was founded in 1897, Dayton Country Club was incorporated in 1908. A clubhouse and a nine-hole golf course were completed in 1910 and a stable for the riding club was added in 1912. The riding club would be active until 1962.
In 1917, architect Donald Ross visited DCC and made recommendations for changes to the golf course that included expansion to 18 holes.
The clubhouse was heavily damaged by a fire in 1929 when the boiler overheated after a busy day of activity at the club. The clubhouse was immediately rebuilt, but DCC suffered through a difficult time during the Depression and World War II. The second floor was remodeled and equipped to serve as a dormitory for military officers.
The golf course was remodeled in 1948 by William Diddel of Indianapolis, bringing both the ninth and 18 holes back to the clubhouse. The first irrigation system was installed in 1955.
DCC hosted the Ohio Amateur Championship in 1920 and 1960 and was home to the Bogie Busters Tournament from 1967-1974.
Among the club’s head golf professionals were: Willie Hoare, J.S.
Nicholl, Jock Collins (1927-31), Tommy Bryant (1931-42), Massie Miller (1943-xxxx), Dave Cardon (19xx-1954), Norm Butler (1955-69), Jimmy Gilbert (1967-1997), Jim Kincaid (1998-2001), David Bahr (2002-06), Andy Fisher (2007-)
Community Golf Course
2917 Berkeley Street
Course designer: Unknown
Many Daytonians are probably unaware that Hills and Dales Park, the site of Community Golf Course, was the original NCR Country Club. John H.
Patterson, founder of NCR, gave the 320 acres, now located in the City of Kettering, to the City of Dayton in 1918.
A nine-hole golf course was built in 1919, and golf was so popular that an additional nine holes was built in 1920. By 1925, when Dayton hosted the U.S. Public Links Championship, a second 18-hole course had been built.
Dayton has operated the Hills (known as the Outside course) and the Dales (known as the Inside) ever since. A large clubhouse was dedicated in 1954 and an irrigation system was installed on the two courses in 1983. Asphalt cart paths were added in 1991.
After the courses suffered major turf loss during the hot and humid summer of 1995, the courses were closed in1999 for a $2.5 million overhaul during which the greens were enlarged and rebuilt according to United Golf Association specifications. Architect Barry Serafin made many changes to the courses, including installing six ponds. The Community courses had never had water hazards prior to that time. A cart storage facility was built and the clubhouse was remodeled.
Community Golf Course has had few head golf professionals. Harry Schwab had the post for almost 40 years and his successor, Kevin Must , was on the job from 1972 until his death in 2001. Jim Awsumb was hired to replace Must on July 30, 2001.
Miami Valley Golf Club
3311 Salem Avenue
Golf course designer: Donald Ross
In 1913, the year of the Dayton flood, Walter and Georgeana Kidder of Dayton became interested in developing the city’s second golf club at the intersection of Salem and Hillcrest avenues. Two years later they hired Donald Ross, the best known golf course architect of the day, to design an 18-hole course on a 153-acre property. Construction of the course began in 1918, and the grand opening was held on June 3, 1919.
Miami Valley hosted the Western Open won by Ed Dudley in 1931 and the PGA Championship won by Lionel Hebert in 1957. The club also hosted the Ohio Amateur Championship in 1927,1939, 1948, 1981 and 1996 and the Ohio Open in 1928, 1939, 1947 and 1952. One of its members, Bob Servis, won the Ohio Amateur a record five times.
Exhibitions by Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Ralph Guldahl, Ben Hogan, Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Patty Berg and Babe Diedrickson have taken place at Miami Valley.
Miami Valley’s golf professionals included: Ed Millian, Joe Nichols, J.E. Kelley, Alex “Nipper” Campbell, Jim Noble (1930-35), Gene Marchi (1936-1969), Frank Marchi (1970-1983), Chris Hale (1984), Ray Rash
(1985-2005) and Chris Hale (2006-).
Meadowbrook Country Club
6001 Salem Avenue