CHRONOLOGY OF DAYTON PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL
Dayton Kellys played in the National Basketball League (NBL). Teams through the 1940s played at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds Coliseum.
Dayton Metropolitans played in the Midwest League.
Dayton London Bobbys sponsored by Miami Valley Brewing Co.
Dayton Metropolitans played in the NBL with a record of 2-11.
Dayton Aviators promoted by Elwood Parsons.
Dayton Acmes coached by Bobby Colburn.
Dayton Mickeyes sponsored by tavern owner, Mickey McCrossan, of Mickey’s Grill on West Third Street near Inland Mfg.
Dayton Metropolitans sponsored by the Metropolitan clothing stores and owned by Elwood Parsons.
Dayton Rens, formerly the New York Renaissance, moved to Dayton in the middle of the NBL season, Dec. 17, 1948, to replace the Detroit Vagabond Kings who went out of existence. The Dayton Rens were the first and only all black team to play in a white league.
Dayton Mickeyes sponsored by Milt “Little Mickey” Friedman played at Stebbins High School.
Dayton Rockettes played in the Womens Professional Basketball League (WPBL) at Hara Arena.
Dayton Wings played in the World Basketball League, a summer league, at the Nutter Center. They were owned by Milt Kantor. The Wings were coached by Pat Haley and Mike Sylvester. They won the league championship in 1991.